October 16, 2009

Musicals about Music

There have been many musicals featuring the music of a musical artist.

Mamma Mia
Movin' Out
Jersey Boys
Rain

My favorite will probably always be Mamma Mia because I love it and have seen it at least three times. The movie of the show is very well done as well. This show features the music of ABBA. I listened to the music of the show many years after I saw it the first time. Dancing Queen and Take a Chance on Me both strike chords in my heart.

Movin' Out is interesting in that the music is sung by a pianist like Billy Joel would have done had he been in the show. I don't remember this show as well, but I've seen it.

I loved Jersey Boys because it really made me aware of Frankie Valli's life and obstacles. My rap-listening son downloaded at least three songs from this show on to his iPhone. This was very nice. Click on the Jersey Boys link to see my previous blog about the show.

Most recently, I saw Rain at the Fox last week. It wasn't my favorite show. I felt like I paid a lot of money to watch a video pieced together with Beatles' songs. Yes, the tribute band was very REAL... but there wasn't a plot to the show except to convince us through the video and players that they were an authentic copy of the Beatles. Having purchased multiple seats, I was hoping for a nice story line and some information about the Beatles besides how their appearances changed over the years. As my ex-husband said, "I don't want to go because I saw the real thing in Piedmont Park a few weeks ago" (about the Paul McCartney concert) I should have listened.

No comments: