February 20, 2009

What's on their iPod?

I love music! A few years ago, I read that singing reduces stress, so I crank it up whenever I need to relax. Recently, my father suggested that I delete all the rap music off of my son's iPod. I don't know about his advice or the answer, but I do know we can suggest positive songs to the kids. My same son recently purchased a copy of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" for his iPod and requested the song at a bar mitzvah. I hope this is, in part, because of my love of musicals and my positive influence.

What's out that I love for the kids? One new really beautiful song, from a mom's view, is "The Best Day" written and sung by Taylor Swift. She's the same country artist that published "Our Song" last year that your child may have memorized... "The Best Day" is a song about a 13 year old girl whose friends were mean to her and her mother drove her out of town and window shopped, so she "forgot all their names." It's a wonderful song about family... buy it for her iPod.

And, while you are shopping... we had a lively discussion in the car about the talents of Miley Cyrus. I pointed out to one non-believer that her recent song "Fly On The Wall" is an amazing metaphor. My applause to someone so young finding a new analogy today. It turns out the song is written by Miley Cyrus and Antonina Armato, Tim James and Devrim Karaoglu. Their song says, "Don't you wish you could be a fly on the wall? A creepy, little sneaky little fly..." to a jealous boyfriend. This sends a nice message that no one can be with us all the time and you need to develop TRUST!

So there is my mom stuff for today. Have a good Shabbat and weekend!

No comments: