June 07, 2009

Iris Seed Pods

By now I have learned that gardening is like life -- I learn much from my mistakes. I have also learned to study one plant/flower a season. Otherwise to me, gardening becomes a chore. This year I planted iris bulbs to go with a few left by the previous homeowners. Many of the new iris flowered the first season. Curious, I got out my Reader's Digest Illustrated Guide to Gardening. The book said that some will take a couple of years before they flower.

But there is also a section in the book about growing iris from the seeds. It says to stake up the seed pods shown here and pull them from the plant when they turn brown. After browning, the seeds are ready to plant. So... we shall see what happens.
Another text says to remove the seed pods, so the plant can expend its energy enhancing the root system and base plant instead of creating seeds not to be utilized. Being a science teacher, I did a little of both. I cut some seed pods and left two stalks in the garden.
I like this photograph because of the dramatic lighting and few colors. The "blue" background is the gray asphalt street. Looks pretty, doesn't it?

No comments: