July 31, 2011

Panola Mountain State Park is Peaceful

Halloween Pennant Dragonfly
I ventured out to Panola Mountain State Park today. This park is very close to Atlanta... a must see for busy Atlantans. Even though I may have a broken toe... (It's certainly injured.) I made my way slowly around Lower Alexander Lake. There were many flirty mockingbirds flying in and out of the trees. I had three rabbit sightings and captured two different dragonflies on SD card.
PATH Foundation Arabia Mountain Trail

Except for the occasional airplane traveling above the park, there were just the welcome sounds of nature. I didn't bring my bike, but this park maybe one of the only Georgia State Parks with a road bike path. The PATH foundation has partnered with the park to create a 12 mile path through the middle of the park.

Because the park is a national natural landmark, all hikes on Panola Mountain are guided and a $7/per person fee is required with your advance reservation. Panola Mountain is an 100-acre granite monadnock This park hosts a permit only "Power of Flight" bird viewing area. So, arrive prior to 5 PM to obtain your permit.

All Ears!


No comments: