August 08, 2011

Folly Beach is an Enjoyable Listen

Sunrise on Folly Beach
 I am just back from Virginia Beach. I drove to the beach with Dorothea Benton Frank's Folly Beach playing. I selected this book because I visited there last February and the word beach in the title jumped at me. Folly Beach is located in South Carolina near Charleston; I attended SEWE there.


Ibis

The story flips back and forth between the present day life of Cate Cooper and a play about Dorothy and DuBose Heyward's life and the writing with George Gershwin "Porgy and Bess" in 1934.

The best part of the book is Frank's language and narration. I like the historical fiction mixed in. (Read a little Folly history on this site.) It is easy to see, hear, touch and smell life through Cate Cooper. Who definitely got an eye full, finding her husband dead at the very beginning of the tale. She later discovers his life wasn't the only thing he took from her, an interesting novel in our current economy.

The Road to Folly Beach View
But the real story here is a delightful romance between Cate Cooper and John Risley. This is a down to earth book with Southern etiquette, tips about being a mom and dating questions all told through great descriptive writing. I'd love to cook all the recipes in the book! The ideas of melting syrup and butter together for pancakes and eating a delicious pecan pie (but maybe the recipe is on the back of the karo bottle) bring on hunger pains. One of my favorite lines in the book is, "Sometimes I wonder if women ever do anything else besides grocery shop, cook, eat, and clean up the kitchen." Visit the author's site at http://www.dotfrank.com/.

No comments: